Sunday, August 2, 2009

Semper Fi

.
On Friday Jenny and I went to Navy Federal Credit Union at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island.

I love to go there. While Jenny was in the credit union, I stayed outside watching the recruits drill. A master sergeant came up to me and explained that I was watching Echo Company, and that they were in their third week of training. He said that they were doing well, and that before long they would graduate. I thanked the sergeant for his service to our country. He responded as so many do when I thank them, “no problem, sir.”

We ate lunch at Subway in the bowling alley next to the credit union. It was like family. The employees at Subway, the Marines, and the families of Marines were all having such a good time. They laughed and kidded with each other just the way that families do.

I never go to Parris Island that I’m not touched deeply by what I see. We owe so much to the those serving in the military, and to their families. Their service is not easy in so many ways. But they serve with such grace, and joy. God bless them, and God bless America.

Semper Fi!

.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment