Monday, February 16, 2009

change

It's not difficult to agree with President Obama--we need change. The collapse of our economy shows that.

We need deep change. When I was young, I was idealistic. Right was right, and wrong was wrong, and I knew the difference between the two.

Forty years in the business world eroded that idealism. Every day I saw dishonesty--cheating on expense accounts and timecards, exaggerating qualifications, inaccurate billing, etc. These weren't monumental lies--a dollar or two on an expense report, a half hour on your timecard, "puffing" qualifications statements, etc. "Everybody does it. So what's the big deal?" The big deal is that little cheats turn into BIG CHEATS, and an economy collapses.

Now that I'm retired, thankfully I'm getting some of my idealism back. I wish that it had been sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment